2011-03-16

Day 5: My favorite holiday(s)



Soo this one is easy! Well, actually, I would like some categories to this one. You see, I have different favorites depending on what I’d like to do on the holiday, or where in the world I am. Favorite Swedish one: Midsummer’s Eve, followed by Lucia. Other favorite holidays are: Thanksgiving, St Patrick’s Day and after living with a Jewish family for over 2 years, I’d say one of them is Passover. So why do I love these particular ones so much?

Midsummer’s Eve is so typically Swedish. It’s a holiday I’ve loved and longed for every year (well at least as far back as I can remember). We celebrate by singing and dancing around a maypole, doing silly things, drinking (when you’re older) and get completely and utterly jittery. There’s this magical feeling surrounding Midsummer’s Eve – like you were in the middle of a fairy tale. Maybe that’s why I love it the most. It reminds me of childhood and a simpler world.

Lucia is not originally Swedish, but I don't know if they celebrate it like we do, in Italy? What we do, since we're toddlers, are to dress up in different costumes and sing beautiful songs about Christmas, gingerbread men and other fun things. Taking place just before Christmas, it has a very warm and cozy feeling to it. Here's a picture from when I was in kindergarden, having a "Luciatåg" with my fellow youngsters:

Thanksgiving pfff - do I even have to say the reason?? The FOOD of course!!! I do like the whole thing about getting the entire family with relativs together though. I wish we could have a big Thanksgiving dinner here with all of my family. Last year we had a huge feast with the internationals. That was a lot of fun! Here's some pictures:

St Patrick's Day - tomorrow to be exact. Why? Well, I know it's lame (I love being lame) but it's such a fun day to celebrate! Drinking and having fun with your friends - and the Irish. Gotta love those Irish boys! Haha. Last year me and the other Tourists decided to celebrate it along with the others, since I (ofc) couldn't miss celebrating it for the 3rd year in a row..


Last but not least: Passover. I think I've realized I have an reaccuring theme with all of these holidays: putting something in my mouth - or being allowed to become a child again. With Passover I love the story telling and the little plague box we always got while everyone was reading. It's one of those holidays which brings you closer to your family. My hostfamily in this particular case.


Sooo, now when you learned more about my favorite holidays, what are yours?

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar